Monday, February 11, 2013

Potty Training

Cohen had an interest in the potty for a long time. He would ask to go and I would take off his diaper and sit him on the toilet and he would never really go, but I just did it every time he asked so he'd get comfortable with the idea. One night Cohen asked to go potty so I put him on the toilet and he went. The next morning he woke up dry and asked to go again. To my utter amazement, he again went to pee-pee in the potty. I decided to take the day to prepare for the 3 day potty training method and start the next day. We started the beginning of March so Cohen had just turned 2 1/2.  We headed to the store for stickers, prizes, treats, drinks, and undies. The next morning we started. I had everything prepped including a tarp from the kitchen to the bath so if he had accidents it would be easy to clean up.  We had lots of yummy drinks and then the wait began. I kept telling him, "tell mommy when you have to go potty, okay!" An hour went by and then finally he had to go. We ran in and went, no problems. Easy right! I kept waiting for an accident and other then once in the bathroom a little before he sat down he was 100% on the first day. The 2nd and 3rd day he wet a little in his bed but for the most part this kid was a breeze to potty train. He even decided on the 2nd day that he would rather go on the big potty then the little potty! Thank goodness cause that little potty is almost as gross as changing diapers. 


Cohen got a sticker and a small treat each time he went potty. Once he filled up the chart he got prizes like matchbox cars, or airplanes. Each chart progressively got so that he had to get more stickers to get the prize. He loved it.





We pretty much hung out in our jammies and undies all day. It was a fun 3 days I have to say. All my attention was focused on my kids and we partied. We played trains, painted pictures, baked, colored, and played lots of games. I was so glad I potty trained Cohen before Ledger was mobile too. Who am I kidding this kid basically potty trained himself.





His only hiccup with potty training was that he didn't like to go poop in public. So he tried to hold it then would get constipated. This only lasted a couple of days though and we got through it by giving him lots of apple juice and heading home if we were out so he could poop in the comfort of his own home. He gets that from me, I hate pooping in public! TMI. Sorry!

Another thing I learned about Cohen while potty training is he responds so much better to positive reinforcement rather then just getting mad at him every time he does something wrong and never acknowledging the things he does right. The 3 day Potty Training Method really stressed only positive reinforcement and not getting upset, but saying things like, "we'll try again next time," or "you were so close, good job." It seems obvious, but I think in parenting I tend to get in the habit of only trying to correct the bad behavior and not acknowledging all the things that my kids do well. It was a good life lesson and I've tried harder to apply it to all aspects of my parenting.


These pictures were taken on St. Patricks Day. I'm so Lucky to have the little Charms



Cohen's Nana went to Grand Cayman in February and brought him and Ledger home these shark shirts. Cohen was more then happy to pose for me so I could send a picture to Nana! 

1 comments:

Southern Belle said...

That is awesome! I am so jealous. I hated potty training. Cheyenne was pretty average at learning, there were some who had it harder, but I still didn't like it. I need to potty train Berkeley soon and I am really avoiding it! Oh and I to poop in public too! Especially in stalls where you can practically see through the cracks!