Friday, February 8, 2013

Refinishing furniture & Randoms

 A few random pics taken throughout the month. Cohen loves to lay by Ledger. They have been best buds from the very beginning.


I can't remember why Ledgie is naked in his car seat in these pictures but isn't he a cute chubby thing!



TJ and the boys before church. I LOVE my Boys.



Cohen loves the Missionaries. They weren't coming to our house, but Cohen escorted them to our neighbors house. 


We have a beautiful big oak dresser that has been TJ's forever and we inherited when we got married. It is was very dated and needed some revamping so I took on the project of refinishing it. EEEK. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but did take a lot of man hours and hard work. We took it apart and I sanded all of it lightly just trying to rough it up so that the finish was gone and the primer would stick to it.


Unfortunately I didn't take any before pictures of it all put together but this is before I sanded it. Honey colored, glossy Oak.


After Primer



It then got two coats of paint. 


My sister-in law Nikki helped me do the antique staining on it. It's hard to see in pictures but the dresser is now a light cream color with some brown staining in the grain of the wood. Nikki also helped me finish both nightstands. TJ then installed all the new hardware. The dresser didn't have hardware before so it was a lot of work to measure out and drill all the holes. I think I did all of it for just over $60 too, and I still have left over paint and primer for more projects. I still need to paint my walls a darker color so that the furniture actually stands out against the walls but I was proud of myself for finishing a project, and very happy with the end results.


Nightstand. These were cheap particle board nightstands but now they look so much better. They could even pass for real wood. 


The new bedding I got for my birthday as well. Looking at this picture makes me realize the lamps really need updating as well.



0 comments: